This week, some of us will be homeschooling kids while working from home.
It could be a disaster of a different scale.
My planner instincts have kicked in so here’s a peak into how my Wednesday is going to look like. (Kids comp schedule based on their schools’ allotted time-slots for SLS (Student Learning Space.)
**Free time options included at the end of the post.
***The blue slots are my own work time. I’m assuming the kids will need tech support and learning support during their work times – at around 9am, 11am, and 1pm – so I’ll try to be available for them. At most, once they get settled in, I’ll work on simple admin tasks or editing work.
Obviously, not everything is going to run like clockwork. But at least there will be some structure amidst the chaos.
Here are some of my reminders to self:
- Remember to get kids and self appropriately dressed. (You don’t want to be caught in your PJs over a Zoom lesson)
- Less is more. Don’t over-plan, leave some empty spaces, and pre-approved options for free time.
- Don’t over-stress yourself or your child. Value the relationship above the task.
- It’s okay for kids to be bored. (Love this quote by Brene Brown: “Boredom is sacred. We shouldn’t deny our children this holy experience.”)
- Tempers may run high and patience may dip to an all-time low but let’s remember we are in this together. Our kids may be learning content online but they are learning resilience and adaptability from us at home.
If you need ideas on what to include in your free time options, here they are.
Free time options (pre-approved, no need to ask mummy again)
- Kick a ball (outside the home)
- Badminton (outside the home; seek approval if going downstairs)
- Make something (as long as you clean up after)
- Chores (fold and pack laundry, pack up toys, or help mummy with dinner prep)
- Literacy and math worksheets by Lemon & Kiwi Designs (suitable for preschoolers to Primary 1 kids!)
- Scratch (30 min)
- Lego Boost (30 min)
- Audio book (30 min)
- Netflix in Chinese (30 min)
*Limited to 2 digital slots a day (max 1 hr)
Free snack choices (max of 3, throughout the day):
- Bread with choice of spread
- 1 cup of juice/day (if we have any in the fridge)