For this Monday’s listicle, we’ve been given the topic : 10 things that make a perfect vacation by the lovely Hope.
I’m twisting the topic a little bit to make this post all about Australia. Simply because…I miss her very much. (I’ve been catching up with friends from Aussie days, and it’s just making my longing worse.)
What makes it so perfect for me?
1. World class coffee. People who knew me in Melbourne knew that nothing came between me and my latte. Nothing. Except maybe an occasional cup of mocha. I’ve since regressed because in Singapore, we don’t have such a strong coffee culture. Plus the babies came and then breastfeeding…Bah.
2. Beaches. That was what me and my girlfriend did in Perth one summer. To be exact, we spent about 2 weeks hopping between beaches and wineries along the Margaret River. Life was good then.
3. Adventure. Yes, that’s me trying to look composed on a white horse. I will never forget the moment when tame-trotting turned into wild-galloping the minute my horse saw the ocean. It was the wildest ride of my life. Wilder than me driving along Great Ocean Road at night in a manual car that didn’t belong to me. (I was, and still am, an inexperienced driver.)
4. Fabulous food. That’s us pigging out on fresh seafood at the Sydney Fish Market. Ooh, and let’s not forget the yummy Hong Kong-styled yumcha culture in Melbourne.
5. Wonders of the world . I’m referring to the Sydney Opera House sitting pretty in the background. The friends are pretty wonderful too.
6. Good company. I spent much of my 5 years in Melbourne in the company of good friends below. We ate. We hung out. We slogged away at assignments. We stressed each other out and also helped one another de-stress, with shopping therapy. As you can imagine, it was a very big day for us when we finally graduated.
7. Picnic-perfect. The gardens in Australia are pretty much made for picnics. When the sun smiles at least.
8. Things you wouldn’t normally do – This shot was taken on board the floating hotel at the Great Barrier Reef where a group of us had ventured to take our Padi dive license. I still can’t believe I had dived at the GBR. I can remember hanging for dear life at the top of the training rope on my first dive, and the instructor had to practically drag me down. I can also remember puking throughout my 3 days on board the floating hell, I mean, hotel. Still, at least I can say I DID IT.
9. Four seasons. Melbourne is the only place on earth where you can experience 4 seasons in one day. The weather can turn on you very unexpectedly. But it’s still nice to experience snow for the first time in your life. That’s me on my first ski trip on Mount Buller. Don’t let the picture deceive you. I actually have two left feet.
10. True love. I found the love of my life in Melbourne. Actually, he travelled all the way there to find me. (Or so the story goes.) But…here’s the open secret. Me and some pals are conspiring to whisk ourselves (and my hubby) back there. I’m hoping that this post will be able to convince him that Australia is the best place to be in the world. 😉
Linking up with Stasha from The Good Life!