I wish I could say that this post is NOT in any way linked to a real-life event. But it is. Okay, I’m a bad bad mummy. How could I have let that happen?
Anyway, from that horrid experience that never-should-have-happened, I’ve picked out 10 things to share here, although I really hope from the bottom of my heart you would never get to use them.
1. Don’t panic. Pick the baby up from the floor and calm him down (assuming he’s wailing his head off).
2. Resist the temptation to knock your own head on the floor just to find out how painful it is. Resist.
3. While you’re at it, resist crying or banging your head against the wall too. General rule: If it doesn’t help you, it will not help the baby.
4. Look for bruises or other signs of injury; make a note of the colour and size of the swelling.
5. Use a cold compress if the swell looks nasty.
(Note: only do this when baby is calm; NOT when he’s still wailing his head off. If he protests and wriggles when you use a cold compress, it’s actually a good sign.)
6. Call for help if you’re unsure of what to do, and preferably from a family member who’s usually calm and cool-headed. Husbands / dads are unusually good at this.
7. Call a doctor if your baby is very young/vomits/exhibits obvious changes in behaviour. (E.g., if he used to be able to sit by himself, and now he can’t.) If he seems okay, just keep monitoring over the next 48 hours. If you notice anything unusual during this time, call the doctor to make sure. Use your mummy instinct.
8. Don’t leave your baby on the bed anymore. Especially if there’s no one around. Especially if he’s a very active baby. And especially, particularly if he’s a boy.
9. If you absolutely have to, use barricades. AND a baby monitor so you know when he’s awake and are near enough to make sure he doesn’t do anything funny.
10. Pray. (This should actually be No. 1.)
In case you’re wondering, JJ is fine. He had a red patch (not raised) on his forehead immediately after the fall. And I used a cold compress on it (for 5 whole seconds, as I endured his wriggling and cries of protest) and the next day, there was barely any sign of a bruise. Amazed? I am too. And I can only thank God for that!
Here are two articles that I found helpful:
– Healthline – What to do when baby falls off the bed
– Babycenter – What to do when baby gets a bump