What we did for date night

The other night, hubs and I went out for our (almost) weekly couple time. We debated where to go and ended up at our usual haunt. Mostly because we needed to get a new door stopper — to prevent baby J from squashing his little fingers. (Funny how parenthood replaces creativity with functionality and limits your geographical footprint sometimes.)

So there we were at the store, choosing our latest stash of child-proofing home items. Bought, bagged, checked.

Then we wandered around for a bit. And we walked by a noisy arcade, you know those noisy clangy places with bright lights from machines? Yup, those.

Hubs peered in and said, hey let’s go and play.

I looked at him with a face that said ‘serious?’

I followed him in, walked around, and he started to bang on the buttons of a nearby machine. I think he was serious.

Finally, we stopped at the basketball game machine, and he said ‘let’s play!’

Okayyy, was my trying-hard-to-be-enthusiastic response. My hands automatically floated up to my waist, and I thought, it’s just basketball, shouldn’t be that hard.

He hopped off to the cashier to exchange money for a plastic card. (They don’t use coins/chips anymore.)

With a swipe of the card, we were off. Hit the wall! Hit higher! He called out instructions like a coach.

We made it to the second round. (Hi-five.) And then the net started to move from side to side, making it harder to score.

Oh well. It was fun. Good exercise too.

We went on to play another ball game — this time we had to throw small plastic balls at a large TV screen to hit different targets. Our first mission was to hit the mosquitoes andΒ  protect a baby from being bitten. (Which was naturally hilarious, given that we’re always hunting down mozzies in our own home.)

After that, he settled into a tennis game — ahh his first love. I just sat there and cheered him on.

After he finished his tennis, I said let’s go for a drink. And we walked out into relative serenity, found a cafe and ordered. We talked and shared about life / work / friends. And it was good.

We came home and I realised that it was really good to be able to do something silly, something out-of-the-blue, something totally out of character (for me at least) and something that the other person wanted badly to do.

I don’t mean to generalise but I think guys usually prefer action and games and having fun, whilst true blue girly me prefers to sip a latte and chat life. That day we did a bit of both, and it actually turned out to be good for both of us. (Okay, granted I was a bit bored halfway through the tennis game.)

But I enjoyed it, because I saw that he enjoyed it, and it somehow had that magical, reciprocal effect.

Maybe love is really about the other person.

What do you do for date nights? I would love to hear your ideas!

Comments

Awww… so sweet lah. Actually you kenna conned into going into an arcade lah. hahahaha… But it’s a great idea, really. My hubbs would love to go to an arcade for awhile to relive his youth a bit. I must remember to do this the next time we go out without the kids πŸ™‚ Our last date night – we went to watch Corrine May at Gardens by the Bay!
    Pamela Tan recently posted..Make-Your-Own-Car today!My Profile

Love love love this πŸ™‚

I sometimes forget that as much as love is selfish, it can also be loving someone enough to share his interests… so much so that we are happy, too.

I’m going to leave the boy at his grandmama’s tonight, and do something spontaneous with Mr.Moo. I just hope it doesn’t have anything to do with football!! Haha!!

• admin says

Thanks Regina…I admit sometimes it’s not easy to share their love for certain games. But I guess it’s more to do with my willingness to open my mind and my heart.

Just like for him, musicals may not be his cup of tea, nor cakes for that matter), but he still tries to enjoy them with me. πŸ™‚

Hope you had a lovely time with your mister!

We did!! Went to Holland V to return some DVDs… and then grocery shopping without having to entertain a toddler who will grab things off the shelves, dump them in the cart and make his Mummy put them all back!

We trawled the aisles and felt like we were dating again. Ayoh! Hahaha!
        Regina recently posted..They have their own voice, too.My Profile

So sweet! and spontaneous πŸ™‚
    I don’t think we’ve gone on many date nights of late… sniff. And if we do, it will be the boring movies

Wow nice. It’s great to still be able to keep having date nights after marriage! My hubby and I spend our date nights either playing board games with other couples or watch a movie.. at home! Haha. These days I like to spend time at home or other ppl’s house just cos its more comfortable and cheap! lol
    Madeline recently posted..I Can’t Believe My Baby Is TWO!My Profile

We go for late night movies, eat junk food, drink coke like crazy and live like teenages basically. :o) But we always have fleeting thoughts of not coming home! Yeeks!!!! keep dating the main thing!!

I normally avoid arcades like plague, but you’re right, it’s fun to do something your partner wants to do sometimes! I think our last date night was stealing out to the movies to catch the Avengers – we’re overdue for another very soon!
    Mummybean recently posted..Charley T’s at 112 KatongMy Profile

• admin says

Same here! That’s why I couldn’t imagine myself to be doing those things! But thankfully, the hubby chose safe games…like throwing balls. That, I can manage. =P

Sounds like you both had loads of fun! Actually, a mid week date night sounds like a good idea. Our date night falls on a Friday (today!!) and it’s always super crowded everywhere. We usually just end up having a good meal and chit chatting. Haha how boring! But after reading your post I think I shall pay the arcade a visit soon!

• admin says

I hope you do, Zee! Or perhaps you guys might think of something else that’s more fun to do too…in which case, pls share! πŸ˜‰