A surprise visit and learning to love nature

We woke up one morning to find a pair of tree squirrels scampering up and down the trees in our estate, and skipping gracefully across some temporary electricity cables.

I know squirrels aren’t exactly a rare sight in urban Singapore, but we were excited to see them up close and personal.

(This is our second sighting of something remotely wild in our neighbourhood. The first was a barn owl who had stopped by our neighbour’s house, and perched on their window-sill for an entire morning of sleep.)

From this encounter, JJ learnt a new word. “Skeechel,” he kept repeating, while pointing at his new furry friends.

It also made me wish that we stayed in a less urban environment. A place where perhaps the kids could get to meet with little furry or feathered creatures on a daily basis.

Singapore is a beautiful and well-planned city, and I’m always thankful for the abundant parks and green belts that are just a stone’s throw from where we live. Every weekend, we make it a point to bring the kids to the parks or gardens, to help develop their love for nature.

I especially love bringing my boy out for nature walks. He’s curious about everything and roams like a ranger out hunting for treasure. He acts like every twig, leaf, and flower is calling out to be touched.

I guess the boy could be a nature lover. (Or perhaps all boys are?)

He’s always digging his grubby fingers into the dirt, bushes, leaves, sand and water. I used to think he’s a naturalistic learner, but it could be that he’s just curious and likes the great outdoors because it gives him space to run and tumble. Still, he does seem to be interested in trees and flowers, and especially, sand…

really diggin' this

Oh, and let’s not forget water.

fort1

When the kids are older, I’ll probably start getting my own fingers dirty, and learn how to pot some plants and herbs at our balcony.

I reckon it’ll be fun too, to bring them painting in the great outdoors, so they can draw the trees, skies, flowers, and birds, and whatever else catches their fancy.

Do you think it’s important for kids to be close to nature? How can we try to incorporate nature into our daily lives?

Comments

Love, love, love the shot of them almost falling into the water!

I think kids and nature love one another. (Adore the way your boy says, squirrel.) 😀

Yes nature is very important. As much I can, I try to bring my kids down to the park for a good dose of sun and fresh air. My elder one will point out the birds, the ants, the snails, the trees, the grass, the sky, the clouds and whatever he can! And I take comfort in knowing that at least I’m also there with them enjoying the cool breeze and fresh air too.
    qiu xian recently posted..Right and goodMy Profile

It does wonders for us mums too yeah? Whenever I see them happily playing and running about, something in me is lifted. 🙂

Love that first shot of trees against the sky!

Getting out and about somehow brings eternity into the temporal. I hope my kids get that. We’re really blessed to have a bit of land behind our house. It’s been messy and tough going turning it into an organic farm but the kids love being out there.
    Mama J@Mama, Hear Me Roar recently posted..Happenings in our gardenMy Profile

4. mamawearpapashirt says

Thank you Mama J, love the way you expressed it: “eternity in the temporal”. I wish we could visit your very own farm one day! Love the way you involve your kids in the gardening messiness too!

Somehow I think my kids love nature naturally but I have had to make more of an effort to expose them to it. My husband is a natural outdoorsy kind so we do try to spend some time out during the weekends now that the boys are older. One day, I hope to bring them camping.
    Jasmine recently posted..Gardens by the Bay :: Flight of FancyMy Profile